Saturday, June 20, 2009

Service Part 1!

Whoa sorry it has taken so long for me to write you all! I have internet in my house but the computer has been broken all week and i finally gave up waiting and came to a cyber to write you all!

Well one week has passed in this new city and i have a lot to talk about! I`ll split it into 2 parts and start from the beginning!

Last thursday night was the going away party (despedida) for our host families! it was a blast but a little stressful! The night started off with a ton of Nicarguan folk dances and then moved onto performances by each of the three spanish classes. Our class sang a very popular Nica song...but it was really hard and we sounded absolutely awful! oh well, I won`t see a lot of those people ever again! Then random families and siblings did songs, dances, and skits. My sisters, John, Casey, Jonna, and I did a Nicaraguan Folk Dance it was really funny and we embarassed ourselves but had a great time doing it! The whole night was crazy and i was in charge of some of it so people were running around frantic asking me for help and questions! I LOVED IT! It reminded me of how hectic my life is in the states and it was a good time. I never thought I would miss that! but apparently i do! Then there was food for everyone afterwards and man was that a disaster. People here don`t really have potlucks or free food so the first half of the line each took about 2 plates stacked top the ceiling with food! some families even took 5 or 6 plates out to their car! Let`s just say there wasn`t enough food and our leaders were thuroughly embarrassed. Then my family was literally dragging me out of the place because they were so hungry...it was madness. My fam went out for pizza the last night and it was delicious!

Then I went home and packed all my stuff and had a little crying fest with my sisters and Jonna from Goshen. I wasn`t expecting that but it was a prime example of how close you can become to a fam in merely 6 weeks. Then at 5 in the morning...yeah....i wake up and my sister lays sadly on my bed while i get my things. Then i went out to the kitchen where my dad read some scripture and said a prayer for my travels! it was really nice but unexpected from my dad who I don`t think liked me very much. Ask me about that one when I get back. Then I went to casa verde where about half of the group met to leave for service. Everyone seemed pretty excited and we put the most people ever in one van with tons of bags on top. We got pulled over on the way. haha

Then from Managua groups started to dispurse from the bus stop to their different locations. It was kind of sad to say goodbye to my fellow gosheners who helped me survive my first 6 weeks! but it was also an exciting time to embark on something new! Jesse and I shared a bus ride with 2 other students going the same direction and I had a wonderful talk with Chelsea on the way. It was a total of 3 hours to Jinotega and it was a BEAUTIFUL drive. I felt like i was sitting in air conditioning the mountain air was so cold! Then Jesse and I started to get nervous considering we really didn`t know if we were getting off at the right stop. but a sign that read `welcome jesse and ashley`was a good indicator! There was about 4 people waiting for us and Jesse and I had no idea who was who or for which family! We just got in the taxi and followed!

We went to my house first had some grub and then went on to Jesse`s house. Our houses are really close! It was a fun packed day but it was a really warm welcome! I`ll tell you about my fam and a little about jesse`s and some about my work! but that`s all for this time!

I am living with my good friends Alli and Lindsey`s family from last summer! they are great! I`ve got mama Tomasa who is a genuine worry wart but is the kindest soul! She has a contagious laugh and is pretty lowkey! I can even serve myself my food which is a blessing in itself! Then I`ve got papa Romon! He is a hoot! Lowkey as well but makes me laugh too! Both my parents have a store run out of our house and spend all day everyday there assisting the customers! it`s a fun atmosphere.

Then there is Jose Romon.....he is the funniest kid i have ever met. He just turned 13 i believe and he has down syndrome. I don`t understand a single word he says but he is a so funny! But like seriously i have not understood a single word he says except for `ya`That`s ones not too hard. He also loves to dance to reagaton. Oh man he is a vulgar dancer but I laughed so hard i cried when he danced for the first time. it was great. I also took a lot of videos so you can watch them when i return. Then there is sonia and karen who both of which aren`t actually related but have been living with my family for about 5 years...going to the university here in Jinotega. They are close to my age and have become the closest with them. We talk all the time and it`s like having 2 sisters! they are great. I`ve also been going to their english class during the week which is a fun time. It`s really hard for them to pronounce things in english but creates a laugh for me! We also stayed up late last night talking about wedding stuff and school. It was hard to explain scholarship money in spanish. Let me tell ya! but it was a great time. Jordan....they liked your song! And lindsey and alli....they loved that video of you i have on my i-pod from kulp south! sorry... haha

But let`s see during the week I work at the special needs school in the morning doing basically whatever. Jesse and I aren`t really needed there but help out in the deaf classes mostly and have a lot of fun communicating in a THIRD language. He know`s a lot more than me but the kids don`t care...a simple smile lights them up! I am good at smiling too! Then in the afternoon we go to Los Popitos which is a like a day care fun time in the afternoon for the kids. We do anything from sports, dance, art, and crafts. The kids are great but yet again....Jesse and I don`t do that much. It will get better though! we`ve only had one week! But i`ve already learned alot from the kids here and am having a great time! I will write again but i have been here way too long and i want to get more in depth another time! But i love you all and i am so close to being home! only 5 more weeks! WOWZA! love and miss you all

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment